Saturday, January 14, 2017

Blacksmith's Tools



PHOTOGRAPHER’S JOURNAL: I’m told that the farm blacksmith who made these tools was working here still in the 1960s. A sign on a post above the blacksmith's blower tells customers   “Make checks out to….”  

How many of the transformative innovations of American industrial technology came from thinkers who learned their first skills in places like this working with the metals of their time? What is the role of “hand made” in shaping thought and spirit?



2 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

I think you're already coming up with good material for another book, Ted??!!

Emery Roth said...

Actually, last night I finished a draft of what could be a small book. I also have been thinking of a self-published book of some of my favorite sites for making pictures. this blacksmith shop would definitely be one.