Saturday, September 26, 2009

Great Hollow Rhymes

EDWARD WESTON: "Clouds, torsos, shells, peppers, trees, rocks, smoke stacks, are but interdependent, interrelated parts of a whole, which is life."

PHOTOGRAPHER'S JOURNAL: I wonder what viewers will make of this image. I'm not even quite sure what to make of it myself, but I'm drawn to its abstract simplicity and the suggestion that all things are in dialogue.

I set out to post photographs from the past summer and have been momentarily distracted by a commissioned project that requires my attention. While working on that project I came on this overlooked photograph taken at Waller Farm in late winter, 2008. The rhyme of its forms seem a natural sequel to "Bolland Farm and Hills," and so it becomes part of this new sequence on farms and farmland.

4 comments:

Grandma said...

There is a level of serenity and focus that this picture of Waller has. I must admit that I prefer several other views of this area, but there is something about this picture that is quite satisfying.

Ted said...

Thanks. At first I was unsure of this one but intrigued. For me it is an unusual image, I think. I boosted the saturation a bit after the email version went out, and I'm quite comfortable with it now. Like you, initially I thought it tranquil, and it is, but viewed large, there's much that's untranquil here.

-just my thoughts...

GMG said...

A sculpture of Richard Serra! Brilliant!!

Emery Roth said...

Thanks for the visit and the comment. I hadn't thought of it as a Serra, but I see what you mean. I wish I liked Serra's sculpture better.