Friday, July 3, 2009

Lighthouse Polarities, Peggy's Point Lighthouse No.3


PHOTOGRAPHER'S JOURNAL: I'm very curious how viewers of TODAY'S feel about this image.

This shot was an afterthought. It was the last image I made before hiking back up the rocks to the car. I hadn't thought about the reflecting pool since earlier in the evening; from a standing position the lighthouse reflection was invisible. After finishing the previous image I thought quickly about checking to see if the beacon was still visible in the darkened pool. The light was fading fast, the path to my car uncertain, and getting my eye low enough to see the reflection had long ago ceased to be fun, but my tripod was already truncated. I fought with my gear to get the shot positioned. I recall thinking, shoot broad to permit serious cropping later. I made only one image and then rushed off furiously without checking the exposure. I didn't really believe it was worth caring about. Surprisingly, although underexposed, it was recoverable.

I'm still not sure about the shot. It lacks the vigilant calm of yesterday's image. At the Lunenburg workshop I dismissed it from consideration quickly, but each time I see it I find it both arresting, mysterious and paradoxical, an unpleasant clashing of dark forms against the stillness of the lighthouse polarities.

4 comments:

Grandma said...

There is something very satisfying about "Peggy's #2." Is it the visual completion of the spit of rock ledge that dips into the sea, or the hint of sunset in the clouds, or perhaps the asymmetric placement of the lighthouse? T may have to make 2 prints - one for me, and one for Mel. "Peggy's #3" has the interesting reflection, but I fear the composition does not rise to "Peggy's #2."

BTW, T's eye surgery was completely successful - easy and full recovery.

Emery Roth said...

Perhaps what makes #2 stand out is that the composition is all about lighthouse. THis one has a different agenda. Thanks for leaving a comment. Yes, I can see all clearly.

Dick said...

I like this one the best it has something mysterious.
The reflection gives an extra to it.
I like the other one too because it's pure and simple, difficult choice.

Emery Roth said...

This has been very interesting. E-mail reaction has been almost split. I was concerned that the two together would not be good.