Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Searching Wyeth's Footsteps


PHOTOGRAPHER'S JOURNAL: How many different qualities of light can be caught in a single image? It's not the first time I've thought of Vermeer while shooting in Wyeth's footsteps. Wyeth, himself, raved about the light here.

The shot is a serendipitous rediscovery from last summer's adventure rummaging in Christina's World. In this hallway the shadows were dark, and the highlights were bright, and the camera couldn't encompass the difference. Even though I wasn't processing HDR images back then, I shot the required steps and briefly contemplated doing the laborious cut and paste in Photoshop. Then I forgot about them until I stumbled on them Monday night. HDR is much quicker and achieves better results.

An interesting article on Andrew Wyeth

5 comments:

Dick said...

Yes I see it's better.
My new camera has a HDR mode, I have to find a good HDR programm for free, hahaha

Emery Roth said...

I'm not sure what HDR mode on your camera does. On board HDR would be wonderful, but I wasn't aware that any camera had implemented it yet. The software I use is Photomatix. It's not free, but you can download and use it for free. The unlicensed version will stamp a watermark over your image. It's the leader in HDR and worth paying for.

Dick said...

Oh thank you I'm gonna have a look.
My new camera has a Bracketing mode. It makes 3 photos in a short time, a dark, normal and light one. Maybe I misunderstood and this is not for HDR pictures.
Of course it's only 3 pictures but that might be good enough?
The only thing is that they are in jpeg format, probably RAW is much better.

NikonSniper said...

love the door. great job. excelent eye.
nikonsniper

Emery Roth said...

Thanks for the comment, Stephen.