Friday, May 23, 2008

Theater Lights #3: Waiting for the Grass to Grow


PHOTOGRAPHER'S DIARY: I'm coming to believe that theater lights must be tended and harvested like a precious crop. They come in many moods. When the clouds are dense, and there are few holes for the sun to poke through, I stand and wait, uncertain and guessing where the stage will next be set and what my composition might be; waiting for the shafts of sunlight that will add a transitory note to the harmony, a moment of expectation or hesitation, that sense that I have caught the leaf falling.

2 comments:

Bob Lejeune said...

Hi Ted,

Among many other aspects I enjoy the quality of the light in your photos -- this one especially. It would be very useful for neophytes such as me if you posted information such as the time taken and exposure info below your wonderful shots. Be well.

--Bob

Emery Roth said...

Thanks for visiting and I love the image that accompanies your signature. Your suggestion is excelletn, though I confess I rarely look at the actual exposure numbers except to assure that I've met depth of field or motion requirements. I set my camera to spot metering, point at critical tones, and adjust the needle accordingly.

However, checking the data on this image I find that I had the ISO set to 200, f-stop was at f25, and shutter speed was 1/5 sec. The only thing in the picture that was moving was the bird, I had deep shadows that I didn't want to be spoiled by ISO distortion, and I wanted as much depth of field as I could get without going to the most extreme setting of my lens.