Thursday, July 12, 2007

Backup, backup, backup


I had intended to post another people photo yesterday as a follow-up to the shooting image. However, on Tuesday night, as I was copying all of the Maine photos from my travel hard drive to one of my normal drives, the travel drive failed, and I have been grieving the possible loss of 80% of the images I took over the past two weeks. The failed drive is currently with my local computer repair guy who this morning reported a tiny bit of success recovering my images; he was able to grab a handful. I had no heart to post yesterday. I'm posting today in the light of this bit of hope for the sick "patient."

I consider the image above one of the best I made at the workshop. Sadly, all I have left of it is the full resolution jpg copy that I processed for our daily photo review & crit. It happened to be left on the thumb drive I used transfer images to the workshop computer. I've done a bit of recoloring here, but it is not the final I would like to produce. This is a third generation copy of that jpg reduction.

The very best images I took in Maine were taken after the workshop as I shot at my leisure in Southwest Harbor, Bass Harbor, Bernhard, Seawall and along the roads of Mt. Desert Isle. I reviewed these once the night before I left Maine, and I will be deeply saddened if they are lost. Light was perfect, and the post sunset images caught that final night in Southwest harbor were a big part of what drew me back to Maine this year. I had driven by that spot a year ago after I had finished shooting. The water in the harbor was pink and blue and seemed topped with whipped cream. A similar effect was there this year as I returned to my B&B on my last night in Maine, and i knew exactly how I wanted to shoot it.

I'm waiting for the full prognosis on the sick patient. What lesson will I take from this experience?

3 comments:

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi!! I red the story about your harddrive POOH! Thats something!I feel pity for you, however the lessons of photography are in "your brains" ...unless YOU loose your memory which I hope will not happen!

Indeed this is a great shot, but I think "the more you look , the less you like" of your own photography I mean.

Thats how it works with me.... When I print XXlarge photo's for an exibition , I am not satisfied anymore, after the exibition . Than I want to make some new...

I think you are growing SO fast! I know the feeling...

Have agreat weekend and enjoy!

Emery Roth said...

I won't make any claim for my biological memory, and when it goes completely, it probably is not retrievable. My hard drive memory, however, has been recaptured as the next post explains. Thanks for your good wishes.

Happily, I have not felt like disowning too many of my old shots. I shoot so much that just be the law of averages, I'm bound to come up with somthing now and then.

Ginnie Hart said...

It's a good pic for what you thought would be total loss, Ted!