Thursday, May 3, 2007

"Composition with Diagonals #2" or "Grampa's Teeth"

Several people have commented on the light in the May 1st photo. It was changing even as I snapped the picture, and I confess to being pleased by the results. However, I've spent much of this evening struggling with the importance of such prettiness as I try to decide between two very different interpretations of the same image.

Interpretation #1 has murky shadows and burnt out highlights, it's jagged and chalky. For me, it has a bit of anguish about it. Interpretation #2 moderates the extremes, details are revealed in the shadows and reclaimed from the burnout. Is interpretation #2 a bit more forgiving of age's frailty?

2 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

Maybe this second one IS more forgiving of age, Ted. I like them both but I do like this second one better. It's softer and more nuted. But because it shows more of the detalis, not less, it shows how this beauty has aged well!

For me, this is one of your best barn pics yet!

Emery Roth said...

Your comment is much appreciated. i've already answered by mail, but the opinions I've received seem evenly divided among the three.